Robert Miller

An all-terrain vehicle outing in south central Barron County turned tragic Saturday evening, June 22, 2019, when a 41-year-old Barron man suffered serious facial injuries when his four-wheeler crashed, according to the Barron County Sheriff’s Department and social media.

The victim was identified as Barron resident Robert “Fred” Miller. A press release from Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said a 4-wheeler driven by Miller was going up a hill when he lost control and rolled the vehicle. Miller was flown from the scene to an area hospital with serious injuries, Fitzgerald added.

Dispatch logs indicated the first call came at 6:44 p.m. Saturday, June 22, 2019, in the 700 block of 10 1/2 Avenue, Town of Arland, near the Hay River.

Besides the Sheriff’s Department, other first responders paged to the scene included the Almena Fire Department, Barron County First Responders and Life Link Helicopter.

Late Monday, June 24, Fitzgerald declined to comment on a cause for the accident, saying it was still under investigation.

Almena Fire Chief Vince Wohlk said he and his department were just getting ready to leave the scene of a structure fire in the town of Clinton, just northeast of Almena, when the page came in for the ATV crash.

The fire is described in a related story elsewhere in today’s News-Shield.

The (emergency medical services) crew that went to the ATV crash was at our structure fire,” Wohlk said Monday, June 24. “I had just released them two minutes before the crash.”

The scene of the crash was about 300 yards off 10 ½ Avenue, Wohlk said. Almena firefighters used a vehicle with a basket to get the victim transported from the accident scene to a place where he could be taken aboard a Life Link helicopter, in a private yard where a landing site had been secured.

A CaringBridge page has been created by Miller’s family, saying that the accident took place during a party with his fiancé, friends and family.

The CaringBridge page said Miller suffered multiple facial fractures, a broken wrist, a thyroid cartilage fracture, a broken sternum and a collapsed lung. After being flown to Eau Claire for treatment, he was later transferred to St. Mary’s Hospital in Rochester, Minn., for further treatment

A GoFundMe page has also been created.

For further information, visit